Full course description
Partner dioceses receive discounted courses. This link provides a list of partner dioceses and discount codes to use when registering.
Developed by Mrs. Kelly Culver, The RCIA: Can We Get the Rite Right? invites students into a close reading of the Catholic Church's Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). The RCIA is the process by which all those over the age of seven are to be initiated into the Church. And as the 2020 Directory for Catechesis underlines, this process of initiation provides a model for all catechesis. Students in this course will discover the Rite's four stages of formation: Evangelization or Pre-Catechumenate, Catechumenate, Sacramental Celebration, and Mystagogy. Further, students will assess ways that his or her parish may better implement this process of initiation in the context of the parish. Throughout, participants will reflect on what it means to engage in catechesis with adults, inspired by the Rite.
Participants in this course will need to have a copy of The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults.
Unit 1: Introduction to Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults
Unit 2: Pre-catechumenate and Catechumenate
Unit 3: The Sacramental Celebration of the Rites
Unit 4: Mystagogy
Unit 5: Implementation
- Five weeks in duration; first week for orientation.
- Up to 20 students in each course.
- Weekly assigned readings.
- Supplemental readings are provided to encourage further exploration, internet links provided for all readings.
- Written assignments (200-250) required.
- Facilitator-moderated weekly Zoom sessions with participants.
- View or read the lecture for each unit.
- Read assigned texts; keep notes, questions, and comments for class discussions.
- Answer weekly discussion question.
- Respond to weekly unit assignment.
- Attend weekly Zoom for each unit. If you cannot attend, you can still meet the participation requirements.
- Complete the course evaluation.
3 to 4 hours per week, depending on your learning style and schedule.
An electronic certificate of completion awarding 25 contact hours will be available in course when completing all course requirements.
Course Begins: June 2023