Full course description
Partner dioceses receive discounted courses. This link provides a list of partner dioceses and discount codes to use when registering.
When we hear the word catechesis, we often think about the teaching of religion within a classroom setting. But is this the only task of this ministry? In The Art of Catechesis, we explore the richness of catechesis within the Church. Catechesis participates in the Church’s mission of evangelizing, enabling the richness of the Word of God to echo in our day. Tasks of catechesis are not limited to the teaching of Christian doctrine but include liturgical, moral, and spiritual formation. Students in this course will discover the richness of catechesis as a ministry, while developing a method for catechesis appropriate to a 21st century audience in the United States.
Unit 1: Catechesis, Evangelization, and Divine Revelation
Unit 2: The History of Catechesis
Unit 3: The Social and Cultural Context of Catechesis
Unit 4: Catechesis Across the Lifecycle
Unit 5: A Method for Catechesis—the Work of Luigi Giussani
Unit 6: The Vocation of the Catechist
- Seven weeks in duration; first week for orientation.
- Up to 20 students in each course.
- Video lectures with text transcripts available.
- Supplemental readings are provided to encourage further exploration, internet links provided for all readings.
- Written assignments (200-250) required.
- Facilitator-moderated weekly Zoom sessions with participants.
- Watch or read the lecture for each unit.
- Read assigned texts; keep notes, questions, and comments for class discussions.
- Answer weekly discussion question.
- Respond to weekly unit assignment.
- Attend weekly Zoom for each unit. If you cannot attend, you can still meet the participation requirements.
- Complete the course evaluation.
4 to 6 hours per week, depending on your learning style and schedule.
An electronic certificate of completion awarding 35 contact hours will be available in course when completing all course requirements.
Area: Christian Life
Course Begins: April 2023