Full course description
Partner dioceses receive discounted courses. This link provides a list of partner dioceses and discount codes to use when registering.
Created by Rev. Jerome Neyrey. S.J., for STEP, the aim of the course is to read the letters of Saint Paul as sympathetically as possible. This will require us not simply to read the documents repeatedly, but to read them in the cultural context in which Paul lived and wrote. For this purpose, I have provided five units of detailed notes in outline form. You should follow each unit's material, Bible in hand, and use the outline notes as a guide to your own careful reading of the letter. Not every single part of this course is equally important. But the top of the line is the text of the letters of Saint Paul in your New Testament! This is the most important part of the course and reading the text many times is not negotiable.
Unit 1: Letters and 1st Thessalonians
Unit 2: Philippians
Unit 3: 1st Corinthians (two weeks)
Unit 4: Galatians
Unit 5: Romans (two weeks)
- Eight weeks in duration; first week for orientation.
- Up to 20 students in each course.
- Text based lectures.
- Supplemental readings are provided to encourage further exploration.
- Written assignments (200-250) required.
- Facilitator-moderated weekly Zoom sessions with participants.
- Read weekly lectures.
- Read assigned texts; keep notes, questions, and comments for class discussions.
- Answer weekly discussion question.
- Respond to weekly unit assignment.
- Attend weekly Zoom for each unit. If you cannot attend, you can still meet the participation requirements.
- Complete the course evaluation.
5 to 8 hours per week, depending on your learning style and schedule.
An electronic certificate of completion awarding 55 contact hours will be available in course when completing all course requirements.
Course Begins: February 2023